Updated: May 12
Keywords: Singapore student visa, Study in Singapore, International student, Study abroad, Shivi Study Abroad, Singapore universities, Singapore education, Singapore culture, Singapore cost of living, Singapore visa requirements
Singapore has emerged as a thriving business and banking center, attracting a large number of international students to pursue their academic goals. To enroll in a full-time academic program in Singapore, international students need to obtain a student pass, also known as a Singapore student visa. This pass allows students to reside in the country for a fixed period of time and pursue their education. Additionally, it grants students the flexibility to work full-time during vacations and part-time throughout the week.
If you're an Indian student considering studying in Singapore, it's essential to know the latest application process and the total cost of obtaining a Singapore study visa.
Main Types of Student Visa
There are two types of student visas for international students who wish to study in Singapore:
1. Student Pass for full-time students: This visa is for international students who have been accepted into a full-time course at a Singaporean university or educational institution. The Student Pass allows students to stay in Singapore for the duration of their course. NOTE: You need this pass for pursuing Undergrad/Grad/PhD degree.
2. Training Employment Pass (TEP) for students undergoing practical training: This visa is for international students who are pursuing practical training in Singapore as part of their course. The TEP is valid for up to 6 months and can be extended for another 6 months if required.
Both types of visas require students to be enrolled in a recognized institution in Singapore and meet certain eligibility criteria. It's essential to apply for the appropriate visa type based on your course requirements to avoid any complications during your stay in Singapore.
To apply for a student pass in Singapore, you need to follow these steps:
1. Get admitted to an Institute of Higher Learning (IHL): To be eligible for a student pass, you must first enroll in an IHL recognized by Singaporean authorities.
2. Register with Student’s Pass Online Application and Registration (SOLAR) service: Your IHL will register you with SOLAR using your personal information. https://www.ica.gov.sg
3. Obtain a SOLAR application reference number: Your IHL will provide you with a personalized application number that you'll need to access SOLAR.
4. Complete the eForm16 on SOLAR: Fill in the required details on the eForm16 and print a copy of the completed form.
5. Pay the application fee: Before submitting your application, you must pay a standard processing fee of $30.
6. Wait for a decision: It typically takes two weeks for the authorities to process your application.
7. Receive an In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter: If your application is approved, you'll receive an IPA letter, which serves as a temporary student pass allowing you to enter Singapore.
8. Receive a visit pass: Present your IPA letter to officials at the Singaporean port of entry to receive a visit pass.
9. Schedule an appointment at an ICA center: Once you've arrived in Singapore, you'll need to collect your official student pass from an ICA center. Refer to the next section for a list of required documents. You must pay a fee of $60 when collecting your pass.
A printed copy of the completed eForm16
Formal admissions letter from your IHL
SOLAR registration acknowledgment letter from your IHL
A passport that’s valid for at least 3 months beyond the duration of your stay
In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter
A recent passport-sized photograph of yourself
Certificate of educational achievements and qualifications
Record of employment history
Accommodation details for where you’ll be living in Singapore
Means to pay the online application fee
Means to pay the student pass collection fee
Proof of adequate financial resources to cover your living expenses
Recent medical certificate
Singapore Student Pass Processing Time
The processing time for a Singapore student visa is typically 10 days to two weeks, but during peak periods such as July and August, it may take longer.
To avoid any potential delays or complications, it's recommended to initiate your visa application at least two months before your intended enrollment date. This allows sufficient time for processing and also provides a buffer in case of any unforeseen issues with your application.
Where to Apply for Singapore Student Visa/Pass from India?
You can apply for a Singapore student visa (student pass) from India by using the Student's Pass Online Application and Registration (SOLAR) system on the website of the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) of Singapore.
Singapore Student Visa Interview?
Only Students who are over 20 years of age and are applying for vocational, language, commercial, or fine arts degrees in Singapore are required to attend an interview. It is important to thoroughly proofread all your paperwork and prepare for basic questions such as "why are you applying to this institution?" and other questions related to your application documents in advance of the interview.
Can Family Members Join you in Singapore?
If you have a spouse or children who are under 18 years old, they may accompany you to Singapore and stay for up to one month. However, to enter the country,
your family members must first obtain sponsorship from your university.
Once they receive sponsorship, they will be issued a social visit pass, which permits them to stay in Singapore for a maximum of four weeks.
Can you work off-campus in Singapore on a student pass?
YES, As an international student studying in Singapore, you have the opportunity to earn money while pursuing your education. You are allowed to work up to 16 hours per week during the academic term and full-time during university holidays. These work permits are included automatically with your student pass, so there is no need for any additional paperwork or applications.
With all the information you need to apply for a Singapore student visa, it's time to take the next step towards your dream of studying in Singapore.
If you want to get admitted to top Singapore universities, Shivi Study Abroad can help. Our organization has a successful track record of assisting students in securing admissions to their desired institutions in Singapore.
Shivi study abroad team of professionals can guide you through the application process, provide you with valuable insights into Singaporean education culture, and help you make the right decisions for your future. With our expertise, you can maximize your chances of getting admitted to a top Singapore university and embark on an exciting educational journey in a vibrant and dynamic country.